Monday, August 22, 2011

Monday Sketchbook: Tales from the road

We just got back from a road trip, and there's nothing like driving hundreds of miles to get one's mind thinking of cartoon ideas. These, of course, are some that didn't make it past the sketchbook --

In Idaho there are several signs that say "game crossing." Animal crossing signs are usually more specific, like "cattle," "deer" or "elk." Why the Idaho DOT used the not-quite-generic "game crossing" I don't know, but I'm pretty sure I'm not the first person to envision this:


As we crossed into northern Utah, there are several interchanges that were developed for ranchers, not a specific town or city. They're labeled "ranch exit." So what else do they offer besides ranch?

This one is almost more of an editorial comment. In Oregon, when the sign says to slow down to 55 in the construction zone, most drivers slow down to 55. In Idaho the speed limits are a little higher, and traffic stays pretty close to the posted construction speed. In Utah, however, driving is more of a competition -- if you get there first, you win. It doesn't help that I-15 along most of the Wasatch Front is under construction. All I can say is, thank goodness for the HOV lanes and a V8 engine!

1 comment:

  1. You're right about the Game Crossing gag. I can picture in my mind a joke appearing in Mad Magazine years and years ago from Don Martin with the same idea.

    Your Ranch Exit joke is very funny and, as far as I know, 100 percent original. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete