Monday, May 27, 2013

Monday Sketchbook: Remember who you are

My grandfather passed away when I was only eight years old. I remember some things about him, but not much.

A few years ago, I came across a notebook that he'd written out by hand, in pencil, that was a series of remembrances about his life: jobs, school, courting, growing up. I transcribed the notebook, added a few photos, and shared it with many of my relatives on that side of the family.

It was exciting to discover so many things about my grandpa. He wasn't just the old guy in my hazy childhood memories. He was full of adventure, and learning more about him explained a lot of things about my own dad!

As you go about your Memorial Day today, remember those people who have gone before and the stories they told!

No comments:

Post a Comment