Wednesday, September 23, 2015

In memoriam

I was saddened to hear of the passing of Elder Richard G. Scott. He was one of my favorites; common themes of his ministry were love, compassion and following the spirit.

There are too many of his talks and speeches that have inspired me. This picture represents one of my favorites, his talk from April 2011 where he talked about his courtship with his beloved wife Jeanene. He gave her love notes, and one of them wound up in the clock: "It's time to tell you I love you."

It was during one of his General Conference addresses that the Spirit overwhelmingly testified to me that I needed to get back to cartooning, that it was an important way for me to share my testimony. The message I received had nothing to do with the subject of his talk, but as Elder Scott so often taught, the Spirit will teach you whenever you're ready to receive.

Elder Scott was a great man and a great teacher. I'll miss him!

2 comments:

  1. I love the extremely practical counsel Elder Scott has given regarding personal revelation. It has greatly affected the manner in which I respond to communication from our Father.

    (I remember you telling me the story of Elder Scott's that talk inspired you to get back into cartooning. I immediately tracked down the talk to see what it was specifically that so greatly inspired you. I never found it which, given Elder Scott's instruction regarding personal revelation, shouldn't come as any big surprise.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. October 2009
      https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2009/10/to-acquire-spiritual-guidance?lang=eng

      Delete