Monday, March 21, 2016

Sketchbook: Collections

For me, collecting fast offerings as a deacon was a strange experience. Maybe it was just my particular route, but it seems like I had all the "less-active" people, the ones who only came to church on rare occasions: Christmas, Easter and the Primary program.

There was one house on Minuet Drive where the guy who answered the door would make the same joke every month: "Each time I get paid, I throw all my money up to the ceiling. Whatever the Lord wants, he catches and keeps; I spend all the rest." The worst thing was that every time I went there on fast Sunday, they were cooking the most delicious breakfasts. He'd also ask me if I wanted a bite of something before I left.

Funny thing, though. He always put something in the envelope as a fast offering. 

No comments:

Post a Comment