Monday, June 8, 2020

Sketchbook: A little political sidenote

It's been all over the news: Black Lives Matter. It stirs up a lot of emotions and uncomfortable conversations.

One metaphor that I liked was this one: a lifeguard's job is to make sure everyone at the swimming pool is safe. If someone is in trouble, that's where the attention goes.

Right now, a lot of blacks feel like not only are they in trouble in the pool, the lifeguard is helping to hold them under water.

This ought not to be.

For me, one of my goals is that people can see themselves in my cartoons. I make a conscious effort to include different ethnicities, different hair colors and different skin tones in my characters (like Sunday included black, white and green!). I promise to do a better job of that. It's not a huge thing, but it's something I can do. Another thing that we can all do is listen — and act on what we hear.

There are lots of experiences I could share that have brought home the importance of this to me. And yes, everyone matters. But right now we have a group of our spiritual siblings who are asking for help. We can't ignore them.

My bottom line: I believe that we're all children of our Heavenly Father, and we'd all be better off if we treated each other like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment