Saturday, October 31, 2009

Special guest artist: Zach presents Skitchy the Bat

In the original drawing, the bat (Skitchy) had a balloon coming out of his mouth with a word. It has been removed in the final drawing. Here's why.

So one day in October, when he was about seven years old, Zach came up to me and asked, "How do you spell 'bitchy'?"

When you're a parent, you learn to ask deep, probing, intelligent questions.

"What?" I said.

"How do you spell 'bitchy'?" he replied. "You know, the sound a bat makes: bi-chee! bi-chee!"

I talked him into erasing that word and writing "Halloween" instead.

This is one of my favorite drawings that Zach has ever done. It's got the essence of Halloween bat and the innocence of that seven-year-old. I think it would look great on a T-shirt or a mug.

So, without his permission, I share with you Skitchy the Bat.

P.S. I helped him color it, so I figure it's OK to include in this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment