Monday, November 7, 2011

Monday Sketchbook: In memoriam

My uncle passed away last week, and I had to make a quick trip to Utah for the funeral. As with most funerals, they said a lot of good things about him. Some of the stories showed a little bit of his other side as well.

When he and my aunt decided to get married, they planned on eloping. But my uncle, being a responsible man, checked in with his father first. My Grandpa gave his permission, but had him help with getting a few things done before he could run off to Vegas.



He served as a bishop, worked in the temple and served on the high council for many years. He was a principal and an educator. Their home was always open to visitors and guests. My aunt was a big fan of Diet Coke, while he went in for Diet Cherry Dr Pepper. They had one fridge stocked full with their sodas. They also kept cases of other flavors of pop for visitors -- so that they didn't have to share their stockpile!



He loved being a principal and hanging out with kids. I don't think he ever thought of himself as being old. He was also all about service. A lot of people called him a "sweetheart." After my aunt died, someone suggested that he go in to Meals on Wheels -- which he did.


One of the things that he was well known for was his memory. He could tell you not only the family history of most people in town, he was also working with the local cable company to create a show on "house genealogy," the life stories of local historical homes.

His favorite question, however, was this:

No comments:

Post a Comment